Mission Manager – CalMatters
Are you an avid news consumer who enjoys creating strong engagement on social platforms? If you enjoy listening to community conversations, uncovering insights, educating Californians, and representing the unique value of our reports through compelling visuals and intriguing messages, you could be the next CalMatters Engagement Manager.
In seven years, CalMatters has become the largest newsroom covering California politics and politics. We are a non-profit, non-partisan organization, providing our coverage free of charge to over 250 media outlets. Over a million people visit our website every month and 150,000 subscribers receive our newsletter every weekday morning.
We are looking for an Engagement Manager who will create and program informative resources and implement creative ideas that engage audiences. You will work to create and deepen engagement with communities on major social platforms to increase our reach and impact. You’ll work closely with our journalists and editors to develop engagement plans for our biggest and most important stories and projects to reach more people, build community within our audience, and bring people to become members. You will report to the Membership Manager, who will support you in applying your valuable skills to expand our reach and impact, and will have a direct and strong link to the newsroom.
Great qualities for this role:
- Experience in scheduling and managing posts on social media and messaging platforms.
- Passion for championing the role journalism plays in informing the public, inspiring more people to subscribe to information products, participate in events and ultimately become members.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced collaborative environment.
- At least three years of experience in social media engagement management.
- Experience and/or training in journalism or related fields is preferred.
- Graphic design skills and experience with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Premiere Pro preferred.
- Use social media platforms to discover, listen and engage with communities most interested in civic issues.
- Produce visual assets and write unique copy for multiple platforms.
- Lead day-to-day messaging planning, scheduling and management using internal and third-party tools.
- Cover and help manage live events with resources that inform and engage in real time.
- Work with journalists and editors to plan engagement strategies for upcoming work.
- Manage social media and live chats with engaging original assets, copy and participation tactics to engage audiences in real time.
- Collaborate with your fellow members, marketing, and product team to convert social users into followers and donors.
- Develop tailored engagement strategies for key initiatives and priorities.
- Analyze metrics and apply data to develop strategies to make our engagement plans more effective in achieving our goals.
You will be welcome to work from anywhere in the state with regular visits to our headquarters in Sacramento
Benefits and Compensation:
The base salary for this position is $60,000 per year; higher compensation may be available for someone with advanced skills and/or experience.
CalMatters offers a comprehensive benefits package with medical, dental and vision insurance (we cover 90% of costs for employees and 70% for dependents) from a range of HMO and PPO providers. We’ll match contributions of up to 4% of your salary to our 401(k) program, provide no-cost life insurance, and give you an allowance for personal cell phone use and a budget for development opportunities. professional as courses and conferences.
We are a growing and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model of sustainable, smart, non-profit journalism. We are committed to reflecting the population of the state we serve and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter outlining how you would approach the position, and links to at least six online samples of your work.
If you have any problems with this form or prefer to apply by email, write to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.